This is my blog to share my adventures, misadventures, exploration, and experimentation with fibre- and as it turns out, with life as well. There is some of both. One thing leads to another. Collecting, spinning, weaving, dying, learning, building a web of relationships. Here we are: welcome.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Chartreuse project, morphed

  Off the loom, I laid the weaving out on the floor so I got a good look at the whole thing.  At this point I was beginning to rethink the table topper idea: I kind of liked those red things hanging off the edges that would need trimming if it were a table topper. 

To bring out the texture, I filled my tub with very hot water, swirled in some detergent, and gently laid the chartreuse weaving in.  I could see the yarn drawing up even as it settled into the water beginning to form texture.  I pushed the weaving to and fro very carefully, watching to see how the yarns interacted. 

I was especially curious to see how the red pattern did against the other yarns: I was afraid that they might pull in so much that it would distort the pattern.  But the red held its own, and stood out just enough to add texture of its own.

After the weaving was thoroughly soaked and had developed a strong texture with no undue drawing in, I pushed the weaving to the far end of the tub.   Then I drained the hot water, and ran in cold water. Again I laid the weaving in and gently pushed it down and moved it back and forth enough to rinse it.  I repeated the rinse, then drained tub again.  After pressing as much water out as I could, I laid the weaving on a heavy towel, carefully folded it up, and stomped on it to express as much water as possible. 

Then I laid it out on top of the cardboard that covers my loom to dry. 

And thought some more about what it was to be. 

I had left long fringes to allow for cutting if they felted.  They did felt, but I liked them long.  I liked the way the ends of the red inlays looked hanging out.  I liked the way the red inlay off-circle looked upright and not covered by stuff. 

After it dried, I laid it on the table. Nope.  Then, just to see what it would look like, I threw it over  folding screen in the corner:

Yep.  Wall hanging. So, tomorrow I will go out and rummage through my stack of  odd sticks and branches (don't ask), and find one that I can use to hang this from.  I've decided to let the top fringe hang down, and lash the hemstiched top edge to the branch using the warp material. 

Tonight, I rest. No, first I eat.  Then I write. Then I rest. 

No comments: