This is my first attempt on my wheel, what I called my "Random Overtwist", hanging to dry to set the twist, or so I hoped. It seemed to work.
I found my decoction of wild carrot flowers, and to my delight, it was in excellent condition. I had decanted it after straining and reheating into a sterilized wine bottle, corked it, and stuck it in my pantry.
So I decided to dye my Random Overtwist and see what kind of yellow I got.
First I mordanted the small skein with alum. That provided the first amusement of the day. As soon as I dropped the skein in the cold mordant solution, it regained all its curl:
I use chopsticks as lifting and poking sticks, so I stuck this one right in the middle of the skein and left it there as it curled in on itself so I wouldn't lose where the opening was!
Watching it curl up when it got wet gives me a clue to weave LOOSELY when I use in a project!
Simmered one hour, and then dropped it into the preheated dye bath. What happened next happened too fast for me to take a picture...
The wild carrot decoction was so pale that I thought it would take some time for the wool to pick up color, and I was expecting a very pale shade of yellow. Wrong!
I had turned around to clear some things off the counter, and when I glanced back at the pot a few minutes later, the wool had already turned a clear, strong yellow. I pulled it and let it drip as it cooled: here it is hanging off the chopstick (thankfully NOT a tangled ball of twists!). Then I washed and rinsed it, and hung it, weighted slightly, to dry.
I can do black bean dye this winter, every time I make black bean soup. And late next summer I should have a lot of homespun to dye this marvelous clear yellow.
By the way, the wild carrot flower decoction has a wonderful smell, a little fruity, a little flowery, with a touch of spice. It made my house smell wonderful.
And now: The other things I did today: FINALLY got my fall bulbs planted. Yay
And I made a loaf of bread. Love, love, love my bread machine: